Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Character and Education/"What can schools do?"

I thought the article from the newspaper was interesting, but it's like saying"what this country needs are good family values..." And usually the people asserting thoses remarks are the least qualified to say them, let alone take any action in that direction.

Frankly, it's insulting to most of the children and adults who already have morals, ethics or character. Most of the Ex-Presidents weren't exactly boy scouts, but I'm glad we had them around. Can you imagine this country without Lincoln, FDR or Kennedy or even Reagan forthat matter? I can't.

I believe in teachers teaching manners and morality, but when it starts sounding a little like 1984 and The Stepford Children, well, I have problems with that. And i imagine a few adults and children do too.

Conformity is the larger evil. We adults can saything we want to, including saying thingsto kids like "you can do anything you want with your life--the sky's the limit!" and then there's no follow-up, or follow through and adults as role models are responsible forchildren not dreaming anymore, not rocking the boat and not thinking they really can do anything. Maybe we don't owe children their dreams, but maybe we can be some kind of a teacher that does go the extra mile or two or three.

I think they got it wrong in this article. The focus should be on adults and not children. And maybe not the adults either, now that I've re-read the article. Being is more important than doing, in some ways. You know, to thine own self, be true. If children could be taught that concept, alot more problems could be dealt with. And taught how to breathe, rather than be busy every second of the day being good. Because what good is that?

Good night and good luck.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Is there a link to the article? I can't find the article these comments are referring to!

cantwell said...

the sysop has the knowledge...but it was in a handout given to us the 2nd week of class. It's called
What can schools do? From a newspaper--the usa today, feb 17,2007. authors: charles c. haynes and marvin berkowitiz.
you can get from usa today, type in the authors names, yahoo, or i'll bring it with me to the next class or i can email it to you.
see ya. it is an interesting article on a certain level.
see ya.

Kim said...

Thank you. We have received so many articles, I haven't had a chance to read them all and wanted to read the one this blog pertained to. I'm sure I have it in my notebook.